Thursday Apr 08, 2021
International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday said that it has back-up plan in place if India fails to host the Men’s Twenty20 World Cup scheduled for October this year.
ICC’s interim Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Geoff Allardice, told media that while he expects the T20 tournament to go ahead as planned, the world governing body still has back-up plans.
“Yes, we have [back-up plans],” Allardice was quoted in ESPNcricinfo. “But at this stage we haven’t activated those plans, because we are preparing to go ahead with the event in India as scheduled.
“We’re working with the BCCI and different elements of that event at the moment, but we do have back-up plans that can be activated when the time’s right.”
India, which is fighting a surge in Covid-19 cases during the second wave of the pandemic, is reporting 100,000+ cases on daily basis lately.
With six months to go for the event to start, Allardice said that there is still time before ICC start thinking of activating its back-up plans.
It is pertinent to mention that Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Ehsan Mani had also raised concerns over India hosting the T20 World Cup last month.
Mani had asked ICC to move the tournament to United Arab Emirates if India does not given written visa assurances to Pakistani players, officials, journalists and fans.