Nick Kyrgios was not part of the Australian Open's main draw released on Thursday in a blow for the tournament’s organisers.
The Wimbledon finalist has suffered multiple injuries during 2023 and said last month "the stars would need to align" for him to be fit for the Australian Open next month.
Kyrgios's agent didn’t provide an immediate comment on the matter.
Two-time champion Rafael Nadal was included in the draw, having recently confirmed he will feature at the warmup Brisbane International after a long injury lay-off.
Defending champion Novak Djokovic is looking to win his record-extending 11th title at Melbourne Park and 25th Grand Slam overall.
World number two Aryna Sabalenka will defend her title in the women's singles. Meanwhile, after time away from the tour to have children, former champions Naomi Osaka, Caroline Wozniacki and Angelique Kerber will also return to the event.
Earlier, Britain's Emma Raducanu accepted a wildcard to feature at the Auckland Classic in the New Year after missing out on one in the initial batch offered by the Australian Open.
The former U.S. Open winner has spent significant time on the sidelines following operations on both wrists and an ankle this year but hopes to be fit for the beginning of the 2024 season.
Raducanu will return to Auckland with a protected ranking of 103 and a year on from leaving the tournament in tears after rolling her ankle during a second round match moved indoors due to wet weather.
"Despite the fact she had to retire this year, she was really happy to come back," tournament director Nicolas Lamperin told New Zealand media on Thursday.