Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting named a player whom he thinks will replace David Warner as Australia’s Test opener in the coming future.
Warner had announced earlier that the three-match Test series against Pakistan in December would be the last of his red-ball career as the left-handed batter desires to focus on white-ball cricket.
Ponting, who led the Aussies to glory in the World Cup 2003 and 2007, believes that Cameron Bancroft has moved up in the queue to replace the 37-year-old.
Marcus Harris and Matthew Renshaw have been used as reserve batters in recent matches, but according to Punter, Bancroft has made his case much stronger after a stellar performance in his domestic career over the years.
Bancroft, 31, notched up four centuries and scored more runs than any other batter in the 2022/23 Australia’s domestic Sheffield Shield competition.
"If you look at those three guys, I think it's quite clear that Bancroft is the one that's got the runs on the board and I wouldn't be surprised if they (selectors) go that way," Ponting told Australian radio station SEN on Thursday as quoted by ICC.
"If you wind the clock back about six months it might have been a slightly different order than what it is now.
"I think they probably had Harris as the one that would come back in a while ago.
"To me now it sort of feels (there is) a bit more of a groundswell behind Cameron Bancroft getting first crack."
Ponting also vouched for all-rounder Mitchell Marsh to remain in Australia’s playing XI due to his excellent performance in the Ashes 2023 and recently-held ICC World Cup 2023, which the Aussies won for the record-extending sixth time.
"I think Cameron Green might just have to sit back and bide his time and wait for the opportunity to come back," Ponting said.
"He can get a truckload of runs in Shield cricket and sort of force his way back into the side.
"Labuschagne has been outstanding at No.3 for Australia, it's very much a specialist position."