Aljamain Sterling remained the UFC bantamweight champion after bagging a split decision victory over former two-division champion Henry Cejudo in UFC 288 on Saturday night in Newark, New Jersey.
Sterling, who dominated the fight through effective striking with knees and punches, got the decision in his favour, 47-48, 48-47, 48-47, from two of the three judges. He is the first bantamweight champion to successfully defend the belt thrice.
It must be noted that, after nine straight wins, Sterling's UFC record has improved to 15-3.
In the co-main event, Belal Muhammad defeated Gilbert Burns by unanimous decision (50-45, 49-46, 49-46).
Belal extended his winning streak to five and his unbeaten run to 10 with an impressive victory.
• Aljamain Sterling (c) beat Henry Cejudo via split decision to retain the UFC bantamweight title
• Belal Muhammad beat Gilbert Burns via unanimous decision; Welterweights
• Yan Xiaonan beat Jessica Andrade via round one TKO; Strawweights
• Movsar Evloev beat Diego Lopes via unanimous decision; Featherweights
• Charles Jourdain beat Kron Gracie via unanimous decision; Featherweights
• Matt Frevola beat Drew Dober via round one TKO; Lightweights
• Kennedy Nzechukwu beat Devin Clark via round two KO; Light Heavyweights
• Khaos Williams beat Rolando Bedoya via split decision; Welterweights
• Virna Jandiroba beat Marina Rodriguez via unanimous decision; Strawweights
FIGHT PASS Prelims
• Parker Porter beat Braxton Smith via round one TKO; Heavyweights
• Ikram Aliskerov beat Phil Hawes via round one KO; Middleweights
• Claudio Ribiero beat Joseph Holmes via round two TKO; Middleweights