LONDON: Fenway Sports Group (FSG) has begun discussions with two Middle Eastern consortiums about a £3 billion sale of Liverpool.
Fans were surprised earlier this month when FSG announced that the Premier League side was for sale.
According to the Daily Mail, the two consortiums have reached out to FSG director Mike Gordon, who is also one of Liverpool's directors, to express their interest. Instead of the club's major owner John W Henry, Gordon is in charge of selling the Merseyside club.
Although it has been declared that both consortiums are privately owned businesses, neither state will be excluded. According to reports, the ruling families of the nation are familiar with the proposals from Qatar and Saudi Arabia. There is no democratically elected government in either nation.
Prince Abdulaziz bin Turki Al-Faisal, the minister of sports in Saudi Arabia, has also said that the government will support takeover attempts for Manchester United and Liverpool.
The Glazers, the Red Devils' owners, followed FSG's lead on Tuesday and put the team up for sale.
"From the private sector, I can't speak on their behalf, but there is a lot of interest and appetite, and there's a lot of passion about football. It's the most-watched league in Saudi and the region, and you have a lot of fans of the Premier League," the Saudi chief told BBC Sport.
"We will definitely support it if any [Saudi] private sector comes in because we know that's going to reflect positively on sports within the kingdom. But if an investor is willing to do so and the numbers add up, why not?"
It must be noted that Forbes has placed United at £3.8 billion and Liverpool at £3.68 billion.
After purchasing the Reds for £300 million from Tom Hicks and George Gillett 12 years ago, FSG is anticipated to make a sizable profit on the team.