MANCHESTER: Manchester United said on Friday the club have "initiated appropriate steps" following an explosive interview by Cristiano Ronaldo that left his future at Old Trafford in doubt.
The five-time Ballon d´Or winner said he did not respect United manager Erik ten Hag and took aim at the club´s owners, the Glazer family, during the 90-minute interview aired on TalkTV.
"Manchester United has this morning initiated appropriate steps in response to Cristiano Ronaldo´s recent media interview," the club said in a statement.
"We will not be making further comment until this process reaches its conclusion."
Former United captain Gary Neville said on Thursday that the Red Devils have no option but to rescind Ronaldo´s contract, which runs until the end of the season.
Ronaldo is not due back in Manchester until after his fifth World Cup in Qatar with Portugal.
Ronaldo has claimed he was "provoked" by a lack of respect from Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag when refusing to come on as a substitute against Tottenham last month.
Ronaldo has been a peripheral figure on the field during Ten Hag´s first season in charge.
The striker responded to criticism after he refused to come on and left Old Trafford early during United´s 2-0 win on October 19.
"I think he did it on purpose," said Ronaldo. "I felt provoked. I don´t have respect for him because he doesn´t show respect for me."
The club responded by suspending the five-time Ballon d´Or winner for the Red Devils´ next match against Chelsea.
"I think it was a strategy from the club for me to react that way," he added. "I was very, very, very, very disappointed for the communication of Manchester United.
"To be honest, I never had a problem with any club, with any coach and they suspend me three days, which I felt was a lot."