Willian part ways with Corinthians after receiving 'death threats'

'Willian asked us for his [contract] termination,' said Corinthians president

By Web Desk
August 13, 2022
Willian — Twitter

KARACHI: Willian Borges da Silva, a former winger for Chelsea and Arsenal, quit Corinthians after receiving death threats on social media for himself and his family.

Since returning to Corinthians from Arsenal in the summer of last year, the 34-year-old has scored only once in 45 games.

"Whenever Corinthians lost and I didn't play well, my family received threats and insults on social media — my wife, my children, and recently they also started attacking my father, my sister," Willian told the Globo Esporte website.

The Brazilian has already been connected to a Fulham comeback to the Premier League.

"Willian asked us for his [contract] termination," said Corinthians president Duilio Monteiro Alves.

"We are sad not to have him anymore and also because it didn't go the way we expected. But we have to keep those here that are happy."

Willian played in the second leg of Corinthians' quarterfinal Copa Libertadores match against domestic rivals Flamengo on Wednesday. Corinthians, who have dropped five of their last nine games, were eliminated by Flamengo.