Federer, Nadal show concern for Peng Shuai

Chinese Tennis star Peng Shuai went missing a few days ago and since then the world has been asking China to show proof of her safety

By Web Desk
November 21, 2021
Photo: Twitter

Two of Tennis greats, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have raised their voices for missing Chinese Tennis player Peng Shuai, as human rights organisations, sporting bodies and athletes pressurize China to show evidence of her safety.

The 20-time grand slam champions, Roger Federer joined hands with other advocates to show concern for Peng Shuai.

"She's one of our tennis champions, a former world number 1, and clearly it's concerning," Federer told Sky Italia.

"I hope she's safe. The tennis family sticks together and I've always told my children as well that the tennis family is my second family. I've been on tour for 20-25 years and I love the tour, I love the people that are there, [they] are special, the players as well, and she's one of them."

Another legend of the game, Rafael Nadal, who is also a 20-time grand slam champion showed his concern for the tennis player.

"The most important thing is to find out whether she is OK. All of us in the tennis family hope to see her back with us soon," Nadal told French newspaper L'Equipe.

Tennis players, humanitarian organisations and other athletes have come forward to raise voice for the Chinese Tennis star since she went missing.

Hu Xijin, who is the editor of Global Times posted a video on his official Twitter handle, where Peng Shuai can be seen while attending a youth tennis championship in Beijing on Sunday.